Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Merri, Merri quite contrary...

How does your garden grow?


Last year, not great! We had a terrible summer and most people had their produce rot in the vines. Conveniently, we had decided to forgo our usual  full vegetable garden in lieu of just planting strawberries, and the herbs we use most.
Nevertheless, I missed being able to pluck sweet cherry tomatoes off the vine with the boys. I envied my neighbors fresh crisp butter lettuce and most of all I missed the boys eager excitement to taste the first of the crops.

This year I'm giving it another try, but I'm planting only the items that I know will flourish even if it is another cold summer here on the North coast. Having made my promise to feed my family as much local organic produce as possible it seems foolish to not give my garden another try. What's more local than your own backyard?

Today I started my cherry tomatoes, spinach, lettuce, basil, Thai basil, cilantro, and parsley seeds. They are all in pots (or old washing machine basins) on my porch where they will definitely get warm enough to ripen and the dog will stay out of them. I wish we could put in a few zucchini and summer squash but honestly we just don't have the yard space for such humongous plants. Luckily, our friends right down the street have a very large garden and always plant extra to share with us.

Unlike last year, this year I am very excited to have a garden again. I've even almost talked Jessie into building me a raised bed in the "garden" area we fenced off a few years ago.

Do you all have spring fever as bad as I do?

Peace & Peas!

No comments:

Post a Comment

A kind word always brightens my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...